Katie Maryschuk – Editor-In-Chief

My name is Katie Maryschuk and I’ll be serving as your Editor-in-Chief for this school year. I am anticipating an incredible year, and am excited that you’ve chosen to come alongside us as we make it our goal to write truth.

I wrote this in the last issue of the 2016-2017 edition: “…I believe Mars’ Hill is unlike any other campus newspaper in Canada… On one hand we have the original purpose of print and media: to be a separate entity that addresses various institutions [of our school, culture and country]. At the same time, we cannot ignore that fact that we attend a Christian university and these roots are heavily embedded in our very purpose, as set forth by [the intentions] of the school and student media guidelines.”

Words have extreme power and have the ability to shape what we think, how we act and of course what we believe. My hope this year is that we, as a team and as the TWU community, we can deliver content that not only speaks Christ’s truth and love, but sparks honest debate and brings to light issues that often go ignored.

In the end, all I want is for His name to be known.

Alex Gust – Managing Editor

Hello! My name is Alex Gust, and I am the Managing Editor of the Mars’ Hill for 2017/18. My role involves editing the paper, doing administrative work, communicating with the rest of the

TWUSA/Student Media team, and most importantly, making sure that the paper eventually finds its way into the hands of you, the reader! Part of my vision for this year’s paper includes that the ENTIRE Trinity community is impacted by the work that we do here – in the depths of Douglas Centre, late at night, every other weekend. I want to help my team to create a publication, both online and in print, that gives every member of the Trinity community a voice. I want to create an open space, in the Mars’ Hill, that allows everyone to express their opinion, give honest thoughts, and share their stories. So be brave! Ask questions! And may God bring you all blessings and strength as we face the coming year together!

If you have questions, comments, or you just want to chat, shoot me an email at marshill@gmail.com or call/text 905.467.2236!

Tori Ahrendt – Visual Editor

HELLO TRINITY! I wish I could craft a carefully constructed introduction with all the frills and flowy words that I’m sure my fellow editors will use, but honestly I’m not much of a writer. Which is probably a good thing seeing as I am the visual editor and not a section editor, but that is beside the point. If we have not been introduced or you don’t know who I am whatsoever (which is probably the majority of you), I am Tori Ahrendt and I am this year’s visual editor. I’ve been told I need to give a little information on myself so here are some random facts about me: I hail from Kelowna, I am the eldest of three, I started out as an accounting major, I cannot whistle, and I have jumped out of a plane from approximately 10,000 feet. Now that you know who I am I hope you guys can join me on my journey this year to channel my graphic abilities into creating a sleek and professional looking Mars’ Hill paper that represents the content we cultivate. While this seems like a daunting task, I am here to assure you I can handle it (probably) and that this year’s team is stellar so I’m sure they will wow you with their talents. Hope to catch you around! Peace.

Brooke Pattyn – Layout Editor

As layout editor, I have the goal of bringing people together. Not only in creating a cohesive paper each issue but also in connecting with people from all over. Being able to bring people together in discussion and conversation about topics that make you think deeper and set your heart on fire.

Cohesion and unity are my goals as layout editor this year. To collaborate with people from all walks of life who can lend their unique perspectives to our work, that will not only influence our paper and the TWU community but also in each of our individual lives.

Chrisaleen Ciro – News Editor

I love to break news, but I love to talk about news even more.  I can be found doing this in the atrium, loudly, sometimes with friends, and occasionally by myself.  My goal is that the News section of Mars Hill leads the students of Trinity in edifying—my definition of “edifying” is somewhere between “God glorifying” and “kingdom building”—conversations about current events and community life.  If you want to participate in this conversation, please email me. 

Niki Mara – Academia Editor

Greetings! My name is Niki Mara, I am the Academia Editor for the 2017/2018 school year. I’m glad you are here and reading this, because I have a job for you.

I want you to be a part of my vision, and my vision for the section I am in charge of is simple – to give a voice to those who have something to say. Our campus is overflowing with students, teachers, faculty, and staff that have beautiful minds and original thoughts, but not all have the courage or desire to stand on a crate and deliver a message. That is where I come in – a conductor of your thoughts into the realm of written word. With the contribution of you, dear reader, I hope to see the Academy section become a nook for critical thought and healthy dialogue. Together, we will only bring up controversial topics and acknowledge the elephant in the room, but also provide real food for thought and intellectual growth. And most importantly, with your help, the Academy section will become a portrayal of Trinity’s diversity. No matter what English language level you have or what year you are in, my ears and mind are open to your ideas. I want to see you bring your critical thoughts into the light for the world to see, discuss, and ponder. Let this school year be the year of intellectual discovery and creative bravery.

If you just thought of a brilliant idea for an article or if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Joel Redekop – Arts and Culture Editor

As this year’s A+C editor, I’m excited to provide a space for highlighting cultural events, sharing opinions and profiling the creative aspects of the world around us. Studying what a culture creates and consumes has always been fascinating to me, and I can’t wait to be at the center of our campus’ discourse on this subject. Wanting to cover TWU’s fall play? Maybe pen a thinkpiece on a recent film? I’m looking forward to helping you make that happen.

Jamison Derksen – Sports Editor

Hey there! My name is Jamison Derksen and I am the 2017/18 Mars’ Hill Sports Editor. That means you can: A) count on me to supply you with sports content in every Mars’ Hill issue, and B) get in contact with me if you have a passion for sports and want to share your voice in the newspaper! I love sports and I hope that if you consistently read Mars’ Hill, that you will enjoy my section. If you do not regularly read the student newspaper, I encourage you to give it a shot, and I will try to write you some content you will love to read. Sport is one of the easiest ways to connect people, I am happy that I have the opportunity to share it with you this year.

Sabine Henderson – Humour Editor

Hello! My name is Sabine Henderson, and I am excited to be your Humour Editor for the 2017/2018 school year. I am passionate about encouraging others to see the bright side of life, to laugh amidst the stress and pain—without discounting that what we feel, do, and say, is real. It’s about using irony, satire, wit, and sarcasm in a multitude of forms to take what we perceive to be normal and reveal the oddity that lies beneath the surface of what we may find ourselves experiencing in everyday life. So, take a chance, laugh a bit, and challenge yourself to bring a little more joy into this world by creating for this section. Humour me.

Hannah DeVries – Copy Editor

Hey! I’m Hannah DeVries, this year’s copy editor. I am thrilled to be a part of the Mars Hill team, and I am looking forward to the year to come. I have always had a passion for writing and the joy, power, and wisdom it creates within a reader is what lights this passion. The written word has such power in the way it provokes thought, stirs emotion and strikes motivation. Submitting work to a newspaper may seem like an intimidating task, but I am eager to help elevate my peer’s writing, showcasing all of the creative talent at Trinity Western!

Madison Powers – Photo Editor

Hey! I’m Madison!
I’m super stoked to be the Photo Editor for Mars’ Hill this year! My heart is to not only to catch your eye with some pretty pictures but to visually create the heart of the issue and article.

Maya Jusman – Illustration Editor

It has always been my dream to collaborate with others to put out creative content in a more professional setting than I have done in the past. Now that I am a part of the amazing Mars’ Hill team as Illustration Editor, my dream has come true. As illustrator, I challenge myself to allow my art to interact with the contents of the newspaper in a unique way, gradually expanding my very conventional ideas into ones that would hopefully reshape and transform this year’s Mars’ Hill and keep viewers coming back. (Obviously, I have my work cut out for me.) I don’t believe that pictures are really worth a thousand words, but I hope mine will be worth a thousand Mars’ Hill readers.

Bailey Martens – Web Editor

Hey, Fam. I am Bailey but most people call me Bails or Bay Leaves. As one half of the media management team this year, I hope to get people to care about Mars Hill. I love this school, journalism, and social media. I am over the moon to get to bring together those three aspects with my role. Being the online presence for Mars’ Hill allows me to connect to more than just TWU and impact those beyond our community with the beautiful thoughts and ideas that students, alumni, and professors have. It is my hope that we can bring the kingdom this year through Mars’ Hill and spread that far and wide using various online platforms.  But in the simplest sense, being apart of the 2017/2018 Mars’ Hill team is fulfilling little eight-year-old Bailey’s dream of growing up and becoming Rory Gilmore. Somehow I made it and I will never be able to express my gratitude enough for that.

Ryan Shaffrick – Advertising and Finance Manager

My name is Ryan Schaffrick, I study business, with a particular interest in marketing and design. This year I plan to build on my experience gained last year as Ad and Finance Manager and expand Mars’ Hill’s reach within the local community and form lasting partnerships with local organizations.  I am excited to once again use my skills, experience and passion to support Mars’ Hill and the important role it has within the TWU community to facilitate discussion.